Fire, water damage… These problems can occur during a rental. But then, how do you react to a disaster?

1. Check your insurance contract

As a homeowner, you are normally covered by a comprehensive home insurance policy for holiday accommodation. This contract contains two clauses: the waiver of recourse or the renunciation of recourse.

These clauses specify whether or not the owner, and therefore the insurance company, can claim payment from the holidaymaker.

Are you concerned about your rental property and your customers? Opt for a multi-risk home insurance with waiver of recourse. This is the only way to ensure that the holidaymaker is covered for civil liability, fire and water damage.

2. For tenants

If you had tenants at the time of the loss, it is up to them to make use of the comprehensive home insurance. In their contract there is a clause called “holiday” for rentals.

You can check with your tenant beforehand whether this clause is included in their contract. If the clause is not included, the tenant can take out temporary home insurance (1 to 90 days) which covers him during his stay. It works like a comprehensive insurance and is very cheap.

Have you ever had to deal with such a situation? If you are interested, we also have an article on the partnership between Luko and Airbnb.